Everyone has their strong suites and counting, in a very heuristical way, is one of mine. An example: if year end is approaching and I am on track to run 97 times that year, I will push myself to get to one hundred. If I have contacted eight persons on a ten person contact project, I will call the last two to get to ten. If I weigh 163 pounds, by gosh, I so much wish to be 159–in my case, being 150 lbs would get me far more in readiness for the ultramarathon than X extra hours of training alone.
I believe in keeping track of things. It is physically based. It is an existence system. Dials, hours, calls, runs, sleep, markets, dinners… not everyone wants to go this far, but I like to know where I am at, this approach readily translates into the effective running and improvement of a business. You can measure miles per lead, barrels per hour, palettes per truck. It goes on and on. But start somewhere and measure and track!
An area I am particularly assiduous in, is in capital markets and the keeping track of the constituencies of quantitative analysis. There is so much to say. Where to possible begin, in so vast a subject?
Lets start with what is called intermarket analysis. You compare stock to bonds, stocks to the US Dollar, stocks to commodities. That makes three relationships. Then you compare bonds to the Dollar and bonds to commodities, makes two. Then you compare the dollar to commodities, makes one. That means four categories or domains have six combinations. Never mind that I track SIX for fifteen combinations , but I sure did not start out that way. One thing is for sure, every Sunday night I look at it, and REALLY helps me see what is going on from the TOP down.
Customers and Prospects
Know who your A, B, and C customers are. Some A’s have no money but are nice to deal with. Some folks have a lot of money but are a pain. I not only rank A, B, C for quality of relations, but 1, 2, 3 for size. Focus on A1, A2, and B1. Avoid C3, and diminish C2. B2 and B3 are also good.
Know what goes where and have a place for it. All my activity is 0 through 9. For files, emails, tasks, values and goals, each is either framed, conceived, or located 0 to 9. Its a simple tag or notion.
0. is for Focus, the doing of how you do what you do.
1. is for Practicals, the stuff that needs to be done outside income
2. Financials and Compliance, the record of money and the correct reporting and translation of it. Also gets into legality, approvals, filings, submittals.
3. Work. We know what that is. Income.
4. Lifestyle. How you live, not just rich and famous but self care and environment, home
5. Entertainment. No need to explain. Discretionary.
6. Creative. Same. Clear. Obvious.
7. Other. For me, seven is chess. A stand alone thing that is vast and committed. Pick something important you do outside of work and practical things that you keep at.
8, Relationships. Of all kind, even acquaintances.
9. Wellness. Body, mind, emotional health. AKA as health.
10. Resources. Where stuff goes.
I call it 1 to 9, but ten makes the end cap, and add two more:
11. Special also. Activism
12. Volunteerism, coaching, another special exception, stands on its own. Helping others.
 In additions to stocks, bonds, currencies, and commodities (gold instead of CRB), I also track oil, and volatility: 5 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 15 combinations. Not quite this simple but best I can tell quickly, here now.